This is what "Chemo Day" is for me. I am on a three week chemo cycle. I have chemo one day in week one and one day in week two. The third week I have off to let my body recover some.

* Show up god awful early. (note my work schedule in the IT field has always had me working late, nights, over nights etc. but never early AM's.)

* A nurse accesses the chemo port in my chest. I had to have surgery back in December to place a Power Port in my chest that provides direct access to the vein leading into my heart. This allows the chemo drugs to be pumped in faster. As well as saving my arm from having track marks. (

* The nurse draws blood from the port for lab work. If my results are not good I will not get chemo. So far I have passed all my blood tests.

* Then I wait to get placed in the infusion center.

* Once in, they start with an anti-nausea IV and they start a 1 liter bag of fluids to make sure I am hydrated. Half of the bag has to be completed and I have to pee to prove I am hydrated before they can start the chemo.

* After the lab results come in showing my blood work in good, they can start the first bag of chemo. This infusion takes an hour to complete. The chemo drug is Cisplatin (

* After the first bag of chemo is done, they start a second bag of a different chemo med. This one takes thirty minutes to complete. This chemo drug is Gemcitabine. (

Now I am done. Total time is 3 to 4 hours.

A short time later I start falling asleep as if I had not slept for days. This is the fatigue from the chemo. It leaves me dead tired. I've tried to work after having chemo only to fall asleep at my desk. Thankfully I don't really have any other side effects. The fatigue slowly gets better but stays with me continuously. No matter how much I sleep I feel fatigued. It never goes away.

Because cholangiocarcinoma isn't "curable" (mainly because it has no symptoms until it reaches stage 4 like mine did.) the best the doctors hope for is to control the cancer or to slow/stop it's progression. In some cases the tumors shrink, like mine are. But it, never goes away. So this is my routine for the rest of my life. Or at least as long as the chemo keeps working. Which ever happens first. So far it's working in that it's shrinking the tumors. Fighting this is tiring, it leaves me feeling wiped out, but I'm not dead. Yet.